Restoration of the Alcúdia Bay wetlands corridor
- Restore degraded habitat
- Restore breeding bird populations
- Promote new educational uses
One of the most degraded wetlands in Mallorca today is “s’Estany des Ponts”, located in Alcúdia. For this reason, and given the ecological importance of wetlands, Mallorca Preservation collaborates with WWF to restore life and fauna to this area.
“Wetlands are not only rich in biodiversity, but also around a billion people depend on these habitats. Not to mention the important services they play in flood protection and climate change mitigation. If we want to build a sustainable future for our planet, the protection of wetlands has to be at the core” (Patricia Zurita, chief executive of BirdLife).
- S’Estany de Ponts: Grupo Santander has ceded its land to the Ajuntament de Alcúdia to be restored as part of the project.
- Maristany: During the months of April and May a cleaning of debris and waste was carried out in all the area around Avinguda Tucà.
- Results of the analyses of organic elements present in the soils at Estany des Ponts and Maristany: all the concentrations are low, although all the samples contain the majority of polluting substances.